“Come join the Navy SEALs, have you tried the Hef?” We talk to a few former Navy SEALs that decided to open up a brewery. We record this show at Protector Brewery, part of the Miralani Makers District, and an all-organic brewery, the only one in San Diego. On the show, Sean Haggerty and Ryan Sangster join us to get into the history of the brewery and we drink all the beers.
Normally we find out more about the owners and brewers, but the history of their journey is so closely tied to the creation of this brewery. We find out how Protector got its branding as well as where the first “homebrewed” beer was made. We wonder why they chose to open up the spot in the Miralani Makers District where there is a lot of competition. Since Beagle was one of the people who bid for the construction job, we do have some construction talk. We talk about the first beer of the eight that happened to be on tap that night. Esthela wonders why they decided to go all organic. That leads us to try the next three beers in the flight.
After a short break, we come back with the nitro version of one of the beers get into the statistics of the brewhouse. We drink more of the second flight and move onto future beers and collaborations. A ghost from the past comes along when we discuss the first Protector beer we ever had on the show, The Sour IPA. After some more flight beers, Esthela brings up a topic that is hot right now in craft beer, being overly masculine as a brand, she wonders how Protector responds to the criticism. We then get into the news.
In the News
- We’ve said a little here and there, but we have officially been invited as media to two major yearly festivals:
- California Craft Brewers Association – Craft Beer Summit & Festival – Sept. 6-8
- Early Bird Prices end July 21st
- Saturday Beer Festival – $45 Early Bird – $60 After
- 1 Day Summit – $99 2 Summit Days – $189 All 3 Days – $219 Early Bird – $239 After
- VIP Pass includes all three days and an extra Friday night festival – $299
- American Homebrewers Association – Brewers Association – Great American Beer Festival – Sept. 20-22
- Tickets on sale – Member sales on July 31st 9 AM – Public Sale on August 1st 9 AM
- One session per day (2nd session on Saturday for AHA/BA members only)
- Each session – $80 Members – $85 Public ($70 AHA/BA First Saturday Session)
- Become an AHA member for as little as $32 a year to save on ticket prices
- Benchmark Brewing will open its new Bay Park tasting room on Friday, July 13. Located at 4112 Napier Street, the tasting room comes in at roughly 1,000 square feet.
- Helm’s is transitioning into part of a larger operation producing a line cannabis-infused “beer” called Two Roots Brewing. The parent company is Cannabiniers. Beverage line to include THC- and CBD-infused beer via Two Roots, as well as similarly laced cold-brewed iced coffees and teas under the Just Society brand.
- The Rickmobile is coming to San Diego, CA on 7/19/2018! Join us at Green Flash Brewing from 6p-9p. The #Rickmobile is a one-of-a-kind mobile pop-up shop that offers exclusive, custom-designed Rick and Morty collectibles. Limited quantities. Credit/Debit card only. No cash.
www.rickmobile.com Please note, queue line may be capped. Parking is limited.
I Do Declare!
Thank you, The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Ken Lierman, Chris Bush, Tony Bagz, Tom Keliinoi, West Coaster, Dave V, Roger Smith, Captain Eli, Craftbeeray, Vance Arthurs, Bill Benzel, Patrick Zacharias, Greg Nagel, Neil Halpin, John Allegretti, Scott Schmalbach, Brian Goold, Matt Landes, Cyrus B, Ben, Hoppy Craftsmen Podcast, Rock Out Scholarship Fund (Shawn Coady), Gwynntelligence (Padres Jagoff), Carlos Lee, Liz Bauer, James Ramsay, Christa Mitchell, Johnny Rivera, Tyler Ferguson, Queso, Oscar Barron, Amy Spackman, Three Frogs Beer Company, The Kayne Padre, and NEW! Mike from SoCal BrewCrew!
Where to find our guests:
This episode was recorded live at Protector Brewery.
Check out our new Support Us! Page!
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way, we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value to ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards for even more value we can give our best fans!
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show on iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
All music is from The Routine. Check them out and go to a show!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.