This week’s show might focus on one beer release, but the story behind it is a lot more than the beer in the can. The Over-The-Line Lager is a collaboration between the Old Mission Bay Athletic Club (OMBAC) and Second Chance Beer Co. We are joined by Marty Mendiola from Second Chance and Tom Doyle & Patrick Vaughan from OMBAC. If you are not familiar with the Over-The-Line (OTL) tournament, it is a sport similar to baseball however, there is no running necessary. This is perfect for the crowd it was created by and made for, beach people show want to drink and have fun. Enjoy the show and some of the hilarity that comes with the tournament. If you want to participate by either playing OTL or just watching you have some different options.
- Become a team participating in the tournament. $120 per team, sign up here.
- Watch the tournament for free happening July 14th-15th and 21st-22nd.
- Free shuttles from various locations or buy a parking pass for $30 for all four days.
- Go to the Over-The-Line beer festival from 11-3. Regular price is $20, but use code SDBT for $5 off. Buy tickets here and be sure to use code SDBT.
The show starts off with some talk of the Sore Eye Cup award-winning beer, Tabula Rasa, and some of the new awards Second Chance has won recently. We then switch gears to find out how this beer came to be. We ask the folks at OMBAC about the OTL tournament and how it started. We also find out what roles Tom and Patrick have with OMBAC. We also find out there is a beer festival, with actual craft beer! After some talk about some of the members that have been very successful in winning the tournament, we take a break.
After the break, we come back and ask more about the two weekends of the tournament. We hear about a few very interesting names of teams, BTW these are not PC at all. We also learn about some bad injuries while playing. The conversation switches to their Miss Emerson beauty pageant. Tamara Vaughan joins us to talk about that part of the club and what it means, it’s not just about good looks. We get back to the OTL beer and learn more about it. We open up a beer from Cerveza Fauna for the anniversary of the city of Mexicali, Mexico, as well as another beer from ChewYourBeer, Lunar Kitten from Los Angeles Ale Works. Finally, do not forget to vote for your favorite beer for the annual Sore Eye Cup award!
In the News
- QUAFF wins Homebrew Club of the Year at National Homebrew Competition 2018!
- AND The Homebrewer wins Homebrew Shop of the Year!
- Local homebrewers that won at NHC!
- Lucas Orr (QUAFF) – Specialty Beer – Gold
- James Slattery with Jonathan White – British & Irish Stout – Gold
- Thomas Scholey – Specialty Cider & Perry – Silver
- Brent Krohn (QUAFF) – Pilsner – Silver
- Matt Davis with Diana Burk (QUAFF) – Scottish & Irish Ales – Bronze
- Darrell Ades – Specialty IPA – Bronze
- At a meeting on June 27, the Santee City Council unanimously approved allowing small-scale breweries (less than 15,000 barrels) to open beyond the city’s current industrial confines and into Santee’s general commercial areas, as well. This will help Three Frogs Beer Co. Read more about it from the San Diego Union-Tribune.
I Do Declare!
Thank you, The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Ken Lierman, Chris Bush, Tony Bagz, Tom Keliinoi, West Coaster, Dave V, Roger Smith, Captain Eli, Craftbeeray, Vance Arthurs, Bill Benzel, Patrick Zacharias, Greg Nagel, Neil Halpin, John Allegretti, Scott Schmalbach, Brian Goold, Matt Landes, Cyrus B, Ben, Hoppy Craftsmen Podcast, Rock Out Scholarship Fund (Shawn Coady), Gwynntelligence (Padres Jagoff), Carlos Lee, Liz Bauer, James Ramsay, Christa Mitchell, Johnny Rivera, Tyler Ferguson, Queso, Oscar Barron, Amy Spackman, Three Frogs Beer Company, The Kayne Padre, and NEW! Mike from SoCal BrewCrew!
Where to find our guests:
This episode was recorded live at Second Chance.
Check out our new Support Us! Page!
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way, we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value to ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards for even more value we can give our best fans!
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show on iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
All music is from The Routine. Check them out and go to a show!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.