No anniversary party, no podcast collab, and no recorded presentation, this podcast is back to our roots as we interview Rachael and Matt Akin from Benchmark Brewing. We get into their ethos of “Beer Flavored Beer” and how they stay the course in this hazy world.
Per usual, we ask them about their beer that got them into the craft. From there we easily move into how they feel they are different from the rest of the 140 breweries in San Diego. To be fair to them, they were brewery 71 when they opened, however, their “Beer Flavored Beer” mantra is the same driving force when they opened as it is today. That, of course, leads into a talk about hazy beers and how Matt hates beer lines. We talk about a seasonable beer that is on tap right now that you should go and buy right now. It even comes in cans! We delve into what sells well and what trends they see in the industry.
After a short break, we come back to some pre-roll. Everyone is joking about what seemed to be a complete hoax with a new brewery opening up in Napa Valley. In actuality, this brewery will exist and not a hoax, that brewery will be Barrels and Sons Brewery, aka Sons Beer. If you want to read the article everyone is referencing, read it here. After the fun, we get into the statistics of Benchmark and find out some cool news about their distribution and their new tasting room. “The logo” does come up in the conversation. We then move into some listener beers and the news topics.
In the News!
- Coronado buys a majority stake in Monkey Paw. With the addition of CBC building the Imperial Beach location, a small kitchen in Knoxville, and SouthNorte coming soon, this is another part of a growing brand. Gets MP beers out to a much bigger audience. And yes, they are still independent as long as CBC does not sell out.
- ChuckAlek will see their collaboration beer with Samuel Adams released in the Brewing the American Dream Collaboration Pack. It’ll be a 12-pack featured five breweries who won the Samuel Adams Brewing the American Dream program.
- Mother Earth Brewing Co. expanding their Nampa production facility to help with infrastructure and “fermentation improvements” as well as the expansion of the brewery’s packaging areas. Hired Luis Lapostol as Lead Brewer (SLO Brewing) in Vista. Expanding distribution to Brazil, Georgia, Rhode Island. And full coverage now in Oregon and Utah.
- New Brewery Alert! Viewpoint Brewing Company in Del Mar is finally open! Located at 2201 San Dieguito Dr, Del Mar, CA 92014 – Del Mar’s first brewery offers food, 5 beers brewed on-site (so far), and wine.
- Green Flash Homebrew Contest – More information and tickets ($25) can be purchased here.
- Sore Eye Cup party – Will be August 5th at Noon at Quad Alehouse! Come down and have some beer and see who wins the cup! Then after this party, you can go to…
- SD BeerTalk Anniversary Party – To be held at Half Door from 3-6PM. More details to come.
Win a Hessfest 7 VIP Ticket!
- Winner is…Eric Zuazo! Thank you to everyone who entered the contest and you should have received an email with our thanks. If anyone is looking to buy tickets to HessFest, please email us and we have a promo code for you.
I Do Declare!
Thank you, The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Tait Campbell, Ken Lierman, Chris Bush, Mitch Tantrum, Tony Bagz, Aaron Graham, Tom Keliinoi, Nick Shields, Ryan DeBusk, West Coaster, Dave V, Roger Smith, Captain Eli, Craftbeeray, Vance Arthurs, Bill Benzel, Alana Gomez, Patrick Zacharias, Ryan Fowler, Greg Nagel, Neil Halpin, John Allegretti, and Scott Schmalbach!
Where to find our guests:
This episode was recorded live at Benchmark Brewing.
Check out our new Support Us! page!
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way, we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value in ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards we have, even more value we can give our best fans!
Buy a T-shirt and put SD BeerTalk on your chest!
Go to store.sdbeertalk.com and pre-order a shirt in either white or dark gray. All shirts are $20.
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show in iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.