This episode is a first for us. We were asked if we wanted a review unit by the people at Fizzics. We said yes, I mean come on we aren’t stupid, but on one condition…we had to review it our way. This is in no way some fanboy review. We did get the unit for free, but that did not affect our review of the unit. Thank you Philip Petracca, David McDonald, and Courtney Baldwin for the review unit! Now that we got that out of the way, let’s start the show.
We are joined by Geoi Bachoua from Bine & Vine Bottle Shop since he is someone with tons of beer drinking experience. Brian starts the show off with his overall opinion of the device before even using it. It’s a good starting point so as the show goes on you can hear the difference of opinion. Let’s move onto the beers and the news topics!
The beers we used with the Fizzics were:
- Alpine Hop Boxed (now named Windows Up)
- Council Pirate’s Breakfast Imperial Oatmeal Stout
- Alchemist Heady Topper (OMG!)
- Green Flash Cellar 3 Ochre Frumento (why?)
- Stillwater Artisanal Readymade: Projector (Over a year old)
In the News
- Stone’s new CEO Dominic Engels. Mr. Koch gets promoted to executive chairman. Engles is from The Wonderful Company (POM Wonderful, Wonderful Pistachios)
- Speaking of Stone, Mitch Steele is partnering with Carey Falcone and Bob Powers and has created American Beerworks. Brewpub in Atlanta, Georgia.
- New brewery alert! Knotty Brewing Co. will be open (soft) by the time you hear this! Located at 842 Market St, next door to the associated Knotty Barrel Gastropub, becoming the third brewery in downtown (Half Door & Resident). They will have a 5 barrel brewhouse and will focus on English, Belgian, and German styles of beers.
- Kilowatt announces plans to build a tasting room in OB – called Kilowatt West (1875 Cable Street, Ocean Beach) Co-owner Steve Kozyk envisions it as “black-light basement meets psychedelic art gallery.”
- Two GoFundMe campaigns and an Indiegogo:
- First one started by Amy June for Small Bar/Karen Barnett to help with legal fees and other costs associated with the closure of their patio due to “not being permitted.” Previous owner was the one who did not pull permits. Could cost Small Bar tens of thousands of dollars in fines.
- Second one allows you to own 1% of a brewery for a mere $6,000. Morgan McCarty, owner/brewer of Magnetic Brewing is offering up to 20 people a chance to own 1% each and get a return on your investment. Someone (anonymous) has picked up 1% of Magnetic, they are nearing their goal!
- Kilowatt Indiegogo campaign to help the build out of the Ocean Beach tasting room.
- AB-InBev to (possibly) buy out the Craft Beer Alliance completely. Currently own 31.6% stake. Included breweries are: Red Hook, Widmer, Kona, Omission, Square Mile Cider, & Resignation Brewery (KCCO). CBA’s distribution company to gain access to ABI’s distribution channels. CBA also allowed to use ABI’s breweries for their own brands. Other smaller breweries could partner with CBA to gain both these distribution and brewing incentives.
Cool Fizzics news!
The Fizzics Group will be on Shark Tank on September 23rd when all six sharks will be on the show at the same time. Watch the show on ABC at 9PM Eastern, 8PM Central.
The reason you are hearing this on Tuesday and not Monday is the Fizzics Group will be releasing version 2.0 on Kickstarter today! Version 2 will be smaller, it will not support growlers, and it will be made out of metal instead of plastic. Named the Fizzics Waytap, check it out now! Check out the Kickstarter too!
I Do Declare!
Thank you The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Tait Campbell, Ken Lierman, Amy (and Rudy) Pollorena, Chris Bush, Mitch Tantrum, Tony Bagz, Aaron Graham, Tom Keliinoi, and Nick Shields!
Where to find our guests:
This episode was recorded at The Brew Project!
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value in ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards we have, even more value we can give our best fans!
Buy a T-shirt and put SD BeerTalk on your chest!
Go to store.sdbeertalk.com and pre-order a shirt in either white or dark grey. All shirts are $15 during the pre-order when you use coupon code SDBT5.
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show in iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
All music is from The Routine. Check them out and go to a show! Also be sure to check out their new album Black Tropics! The small clip you heard at the beginning is the intro music from Three B Zine, Conversations from Brothers Weiss, buy it too!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.