This week we talk with Susie Baggs, the Chief Beverage Officer of Brown Bag Beverage, a local San Diego beer distribution company.
We start the interview talking with Susie about Brown Bag Beverage and what her focus is with the company. We then delve into the big issue of craft breweries selling out to bigger breweries. We also talk about “pay for play” that big breweries do (or don’t do because it’s illegal) and how bars are persuaded to serve “crafty” beer. We are also joined by long-time listener and BBB employee Travis Hudson. Some of the breweries that BBB are supporting:
- Butcher’s Brewing
- Legacy Brewing Co.
- Half Door Brewing Co.
- Rock Bottom La Jolla
- Jamul Brewing Co.
- URBN St. Brewing Co.
- La Jolla Brewing Co.
We delve into Susie’s responsibilities at BBB and how she is growing and running the company the way she wants to.
Into the News:
We start on a high note and talk about 2015 GABF and how San Diego won 19 medals (20 if you count Karl Strauss’ Costa Mesa location). Article from the West Coaster. San Diego medals are:
- Very Small Brewery of the Year: Rip Current Brewing Co., San Marcos
- Coffee Beer: Gold—Zumbar Chocolate Coffee Imperial Stout, New English Brewing Co., Sorrento Valley; Bronze—Bacon & Eggs, Pizza Port, Ocean Beach
- India Pale Ale: Gold—Revolver IPA, BNS Brewing & Distilling Co., Santee
- Session India Pale Ale: Gold—The Coachman, Societe Brewing Co., Kearny Mesa
- Wood & Barrel-Aged Sour Beer: Gold—Veritas 015, The Lost Abbey, San Marcos
- American-Belgo-Style Ale: Gold—Le Freak, Green Flash Brewing Co., Mira Mesa
- Bock: Gold—Break Line Bock, Rip Current Brewing Co., San Marcos
- Scotch Ale: Silver—Black Lagoon Scottish Strong, Rip Current Brewing Co., San Marcos
- Oatmeal Stout: Silver—Scripps Pier Stout, South Park Brewing Co., South Park
- Session Beer: Bronze—Guillaume, Pizza Port, Ocean Beach
- International-Style Pale Ale: Bronze—San Diego-style IPA, Karl Strauss Brewing Co., La Jolla
- Imperial India Pale Ale: Bronze—Teahupo’o, Breakwater Brewing Co., Oceanside
- American-Style Amber/Red Ale: Bronze—Shark Bite Red, Pizza Port Bressi Ranch, Carlsbad
- Double Red Ale: Bronze—GRAMBO, Pizza Port, Solana Beach
- French- & Belgian-Style Saison: Bronze—Saison, URBN St. Brewing Co., El Cajon
- Other Belgian-Style Ale: Bronze—Witty Moron, Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens, Liberty Station
- Export Stout: Bronze—Z-Man Stout, Pizza Port, Carlsbad
- South German-Style Hefeweizen: Bronze—Windansea Wheat, Karl Strauss Brewing Co., Pacific Beach
- Chile Beer: Bronze—Serrano Pale Ale, Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits, Scripps Ranch
Chuck Silva leaving Green Flash and starting Silva Brewing Co. Article from the West Coaster.
ABinBev buys Golden Road. Article from Brewbound.
Modern Times opening a brewery/restaurant/coffee shop in LA. Twitter post by Modern Times.
This episode was recorded inside 57 Degrees Wine and Beer.
All music is from The Routine. Check them out and go to a show!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.