Oh boy! The plan was to take this week off since we had a show in the tank ready to go. Well, the San Diego craft beer world had a different idea for us. By now most of you should have heard about the foreclosure of GFBC Inc. which includes all of Green Flash Brewing Co.‘s assets along with all of Alpine Beer Co.‘s assets. Normally, Green Flash and Alpine would be no more and those assets would be auctioned off or sold to another entity. Well, they were sold very quickly, almost immediately to a new entity, WC IPA LLC, which bought them from Camerica bank that gave GFBC Inc. it’s $20M loan for the Virginia facility. WC IPA LLC now owns the brands Green Flash Brewing and Alpine Beer Co.
Getting back to the show, we start the show with a surprise guest, Pat McIlhenney, the founder of Alpine Beer Co. and make sure to go through the fact as we know them. After confirming the details, we then ask Pat his experience during this transition. We end the interview with one very important question that should make craft beer geeks very happy.
We take a break and come back to the opinion and speculation portion of the show. You’ll hear Brian’s thoughts on the situation as well as all four hosts of the show, Greg, Esthela, and Travis. After we go through how we really feel about the handling of the transitions, we get into the news topics and close out the show.
BUT WAIT! That’s not all, we recorded an after-hours portion of the show since there was still a lot of opinions to be had. We are joined by Noah Scoville from Stone Brewing, Carlos Lee of Craft Beer Me SD, and Adam Alonso & Mike Dion from SD Beer Dudes. These guys came down to check out the main show, so we figured we would get them on the mic for this important news topic and see what they think of it all.
In the News
- Duck Foot opening restaurant. 550 Park Boulevard, few blocks East of Half Door. Food will be gluten-free. Opens in May.
- OAW closes (again) The new owners decided not to hassle with the lawsuits and possible legal action against them. **We had said Papa Marce’s Cerveceria took over OAW, they did not, they took over the old Wiseguy location. Papi Chulo Brew Works was the brewery that opened as OAW for a short while. We apologize for the confusion.**
- Fallbrook Brewing is closing Sunday, April 15th.
- Update on Tom’s mother. She did not make it, but the bills still need to be paid. We did make our donation from the April Patreon pledges, but we know it’s small in comparison to the loss.
- Lightning Brewery is rebranding and holding a re-grand opening between April 19th and 22nd.
I Do Declare!
Thank you, The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Ken Lierman, Chris Bush, Tony Bagz, Tom Keliinoi, Ryan DeBusk, West Coaster, Dave V, Roger Smith, Captain Eli, Craftbeeray, Vance Arthurs, Bill Benzel, Patrick Zacharias, Greg Nagel, Neil Halpin, John Allegretti, Scott Schmalbach, Brian Goold, Matt Landes, Cyrus B, Ben, Hoppy Craftsmen Podcast, Rock Out Scholarship Fund (Shawn Coady), Gwynntelligence (Padres Jagoff), Carlos Lee, Liz Bauer, James Ramsay, Christa Mitchell, Johnny Rivera, Theresa Lopez, Tyler Ferguson, and NEW! Queso!
This episode was recorded live at Pariah Brewing.
Where to find our new host:
Check out our new Support Us! page!
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way, we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value in ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards for even more value we can give our best fans!
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show in iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.