It’s Episode 150 and we are joined by one of the biggest beer writers in San Diego, Brandon Hernández. While you would most likely see Brandon’s articles in West Coaster, he has written for many San Diego blogs and magazines over the years. Whether you like his opinions on beer or not, he is usually one of the first journalists to feature new breweries. We are very happy to have him on our sesquicentennial show.
Brandon talks a little about his history with craft beer and what his first beers were. We have some side conversations about the Brew Project and Pariah’s anniversary where they released Dank Drank in cans and the wild ale our listeners have heard plenty about whenever Brian has been on the show, Avarice Dekkera. We also open up a few beers, some are not so great and take a break when the food arrives. After the break, we open more beers and start asking our listener questions.
Rudy Pollorena Jr. – In the last few years, what has been the most noticeable shift in San Diego Beer culture?
Cosimo Sorrentino – What are the best food and beer pairing that you have had recently? Have you found any unexpected synergies in the past couple months that you want to share with the masses?
Andrew Foulkes – If you could change one thing about the industry here in San Diego what would it be and why?
Mike Shess – What do you say when people accuse you of having an agenda against certain breweries/businesses or being biased because you work for a brewery?
Gregory Nagel – If you could create infinite clones of yourself to adequately cover SD’s beer scene, how many clones would it take?
Ian Cheesman – With such a long and illustrious tenure in beer writing, does anything surprise you anymore as a journalist? Also, can I have a lock of your hair?
Brian Scanlon – What plans do you have for Beer to the Rescue this year dude?
Beer to the Rescue information and events
- Saturday, February 24 | Beer-Release Event—Benchmark Brewing, Grantville
- Wednesday, March 28 | Fundraiser—Pariah Brewing, North Park
- Thursday, March 29 | Cask Night Event—North Park Beer Co., North Park
- Monday, April 16 | Fundraiser—New English Brewing, Sorrento Valley
- Every Tuesday in May | Charity Nights—Societe Brewing, Kearny Mesa
- Thursday, May 3 | Beer-Release Event—Division 23 Brewing, Miramar
- Thursday, May 17 | Fundraiser—Thorn St. Brewery, North Park
- Sunday, June 3 | Beer-Release Events—Second Chance Beer Co., Carmel Mountain & North Park
- Friday, July 6 | Beer-Release Event—Booze Brothers Brewing, Vista
- Thursday, August 16 | Fundraiser—Burgeon Beer Co., Carlsbad
- Tuesday, October 16 | Beer For Boobs Joint Fundraiser—White Labs, Miramar
- Wednesday, October 31 | Halloween Fundraiser—2kids Brewing, Miramar
- Saturday, November 17 | St. Jude’s Hospital Joint Fundraiser—Indian Joe Brewing, Vista
- Thursday, November 27 | Fundraisers—Belching Beaver Brewery, Vista & North Park
- Saturday, December 8 | Foster Children’s Charity Joint Fundraiser—Bolt Brewery, La Mesa
In the News
- La Mesa’s Depot Springs Beer Co. project a no-go, they have decided to cut their losses and try to sell the location and equipment.
A voicemail from ChewYourBeer!
I Do Declare!
Thank you, The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Ken Lierman, Chris Bush, Tony Bagz, Tom Keliinoi, Ryan DeBusk, West Coaster, Dave V, Roger Smith, Captain Eli, Craftbeeray, Vance Arthurs, Bill Benzel, Alana Gomez, Patrick Zacharias, Greg Nagel, Neil Halpin, John Allegretti, Scott Schmalbach, Brian Goold, Matt Landes, Cyrus B, Ben, Hoppy Craftsmen Podcast, Rock Out Scholarship Fund (Shawn Coady), Gwynntelligence (Padres Jagoff), Carlos Lee, Liz Bauer, James Ramsay, and Christa Mitchell.
This episode was recorded live at The Brew Project.
Where to find our new host:
Where to find our guests:
We are sponsored by!
Use coupon code: Esthela for a really cool discount.
Check out our new Support Us! page!
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way, we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value in ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards for even more value we can give our best fans!
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show in iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.