It’s 2018 and we are back with a something new and exciting! Before we get to our guest, we wanted to give a very warm welcome to our new co-host, Esthela Davila! Esthela is a craft beer enthusiast who not only has a love for everything craft beer but also has been working with PushPins Media which holds the Mission Valley Craft Beer and Food Festival and San Diego Bacon Fest. Esthela has been on the show here and there as a fan, but we realized she would be a great addition to the team. We hope she will bring a different perspective to the show, basically a non-white, bearded guy perspective. Back to our guest, we are recording at Pariah Brewing and have Brian Mitchell on to see what this year has been like since opening.
Mitchell dives into his favorite beers he’s brewed this year and why is it his beers are different from everyone else. After a discussion about those beers, we wonder what the future looks like for Pariah and being in the Igniter program. We take a detour when Liz from Hopsbauer brings a fresh Dopeur from Rouleur Brewing. We then ask what the customers think of his beers.
After a short break, we find out more about the two LA Lakers beers Pariah has on tap now. If you have been to Pariah, you’ve noticed the specialized glassware. Is it worth it to serve the beers in those glasses? Our newest host brings out a new, unreleased beer from Stone, Loral & Dr. Rudi’s Inevitable Adventure Double IPA. We then get into some tougher questions and wonder how breweries can survive in San Diego when in 2017 there were eight closures, the most in a long time. We finish up the interview with Pariah’s plans for an anniversary party.
In the News
- Burgeon 1st Anniversary
- January 20 – $40 – Ani. Glass, 8 food pairings, 12 4oz. Pours, Raffle
- Food: Scugnizzi Pizza – El Cevichito – Screamin Petes BBQ – Yummy Cupcakes
- Pure 2nd Anniversary
- January 27 – $10 – 2nd Anniversary Teku Glass, Raffle
- Pay for pours
- Mikkeller SD new tasting room in Little Italy – Probably at 2021 India St. One block away from Bolt.
- Silva Brewing signing with Stone Distribution for Central Coast south of SLO.
- Greg was right! Just wrong about the year, 2 out of town craft breweries will be opening facilities in SD in ‘18 – Melvin and Cismontane.
- Melvin will be opening a brewpub in downtown and has signed a letter of intent for a 5,500 sq. ft. space in downtown San Diego with the hope of opening a 7- or 10-barrel brewery there next summer.
- Cismontane is opening Kno (pronounced “new”) Beverage House in Escondido. Located at 239 East Valley Parkway, it will feature an unknown size brewhouse with experimentation and collaboration being the focus. They hope to open in February.
- Kuracali Beer & Sake Brewery – December 23rd
- SpecHops Brewing Company – December 31st
- Oceanside Ale Works – January 6th
I Do Declare!
Thank you, The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Ken Lierman, Chris Bush, Tony Bagz, Tom Keliinoi, Nick Shields, Ryan DeBusk, West Coaster, Dave V, Roger Smith, Captain Eli, Craftbeeray, Vance Arthurs, Bill Benzel, Alana Gomez, Patrick Zacharias, Greg Nagel, Neil Halpin, John Allegretti, Scott Schmalbach, Brian Goold, Matt Landes, Cyrus B, Ben, Hoppy Craftsmen Podcast, Rock Out Scholarship Fund (Shawn Coady), Gwynntelligence (Padres Jagoff), Carlos Lee, Liz Bauer, and James Ramsay.
This episode was recorded live at Pariah Brewing.
Where to find our new host:
Where to find our guests:
Check out our new Support Us! page!
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way, we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value in ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards for even more value we can give our best fans!
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show in iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.