It’s that time of the year, it’s San Diego Beer Week! We wanted to start off the week with something sessionable and low-key….Ya right! We have all the Stone Farking Wheaton w00tstout beers starting with 1.0 also known as the 2013 version and ending with the w00tstout brewed in Stone’s Berlin brewery. If you are unaware of w00tstout, it is a yearly released beer during Comic-con that is a collaboration between Drew Curtis, the founder of fark.com, Wil Wheaton, actor, geek, and homebrewer, and Greg Koch, the co-founder of Stone. The 2.0 version did not have Greg Koch’s help but did include Aisha Tyler in his place.
We start off the show right away with the 2013 version. Once we talk a little about it, we delve into 2.0 also known as the 2014 version which included a slightly different recipe. During the drinking of 2.0, we get into the topic of trends we noticed in 2017. While we drink 3.0 and 4.0, we get into the heaviest topic of the night, sexism in craft beer. After a long conversation about sexism, we talk a little about 4.0 and then immediately open up 5.0. The next topic is if we think beer geeks are still interested in verticals or are they only into the new, shiny can releases. We open up the German version of w00tstout and get into the news and one last topic about places you don’t tell people because you want it to remain a secret.
All the w00tstout beers
- 1.0 – 13% – 07/15/2013 – Rye, wheat malt and pecans and partially aged in bourbon whiskey barrels.
- 2.0 – 13.5% – 07/14/2014 – Rye, wheat malt and pecans and partially aged in bourbon whiskey barrels. Added stone-ground chocolate from Aisha Tyler.
- 3.0 – 13% – 07/13/2015 – Rye, wheat malt and pecans and partially aged in bourbon whiskey barrels. Blended with one-year BA 2.0.
- 4.0 – 13% – 07/11/2016 – Rye, wheat malt and pecans and partially aged in bourbon whiskey barrels.
- 5.0 – 13% – 07/10/2017 – Rye, wheat malt and pecans and partially aged in bourbon whiskey barrels.
- ZÜPER MAGIK W00TSTOUT – 10% – 09/21/2017 – Rye, wheat malt, pecans, and almonds and partially aged in bourbon whiskey barrels.
In the News
- Derek Gallanosa has announced the brewery project he is a part of in NorCal. Based in Rocklin (north of Sacramento) Moksa Brewing Co. will be Derek’s new home. Cory Meyer and Derek will be the brewers there. December-January opening, around 1,000 barrels next year, topping out at 2,500 at max.
- As mentioned in the last episode, Second Chance has opened up their tasting room in North Park.
I Do Declare!
Thank you, The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Ken Lierman, Chris Bush, Tony Bagz, Tom Keliinoi, Nick Shields, Ryan DeBusk, West Coaster, Dave V, Roger Smith, Captain Eli, Craftbeeray, Vance Arthurs, Bill Benzel, Alana Gomez, Patrick Zacharias, Greg Nagel, Neil Halpin, John Allegretti, Scott Schmalbach, Brian Goold, Matt Landes, Cyrus B, Ben, Hoppy Craftsmen Podcast, and Shawn Coady!
Where to find our guests:
This episode was recorded at The Brew Project.
Check out our new Support Us! page!
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way, we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value in ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards for even more value we can give our best fans!
Buy a T-shirt and put SD BeerTalk on your chest!
Go to store.sdbeertalk.com and pre-order a shirt in either white or dark gray. All shirts are $20.
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show in iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.