In this show, we headed over to Bay City Brewing. We are joined by their co-founder, co-owner Ben Dubois, M.D., and their head brewer Chris West. Bay City has been around for around two years and is the brewery to brew 72 and Hoppy, which has become a very controversial beer and has been mislabeled as San Diego’s “official” beer by the Tourism Board. We definitely get into that conversation later in the show.
We start off with Ben and wonder why he opened up Bay City. We wonder if their close proximity to Modern Times is a benefit or hindrance. We can’t do a show without asking the most asked question, how did they get into craft beer and what was their first craft beer. We ask how they separate themselves from the other 140+ breweries around town. That morphs into a conversation about the drinkability of beer and how they brew their beers with that in mind.
After a short break to fill up our glasses, we come back to talk about their best selling beers. After a discussion about style guidelines for beers, we wonder what they are doing during San Diego Beer Week. We find out they will have their first bottled beer that will be available only at the brewery on November 9th. Brian wants to know more about the statistics of the brewhouse. We end the interview with 72 and Hoppy and the controversy around that.
In the News
- Eppig Brewing constructing waterfront tasting room in Point Loma. 2817 Dickens Street – total 1,200 square feet. 20 taps, a wrap-around patio that comes in between 2,400 and 3,000 square feet. Small food items that will not clash with local seafood places. Hopefully November/December.
- Northern Pine Brewing opened last Friday, soft opening. 326 North Horne St., Oceanside
- Ebullition Brew Works had their grand opening over two weekends. Congrats! Maybe a show soon!
- Brewers Association started the Take Craft Back campaign to buy AB-InBev for $213 Billion. Currently over 9400 pledges for $3 million. Pledge any amount and you then you may get a choice of free stuff. Seems like it’s down to stickers & Koozies.
- Second Chance Beer will be opening soon in North Park. Actually, they are OPEN NOW! 4045 30th Street.
- Longship #SDBeer Influencers flight, November 8th, we are podcasting!
I Do Declare!
Thank you, The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Ken Lierman, Chris Bush, Tony Bagz, Tom Keliinoi, Nick Shields, Ryan DeBusk, West Coaster, Dave V, Roger Smith, Captain Eli, Craftbeeray, Vance Arthurs, Bill Benzel, Alana Gomez, Patrick Zacharias, Greg Nagel, Neil Halpin, John Allegretti, Scott Schmalbach, Brian Goold, Matt Landes, Cyrus B, Ben, Hoppy Craftsmen Podcast, and (NEW!) Shawn Coady!
Where to find our guests:
This episode was recorded at Bay City Brewing.
Check out our new Support Us! page!
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way, we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value in ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards for even more value we can give our best fans!
Buy a T-shirt and put SD BeerTalk on your chest!
Go to store.sdbeertalk.com and pre-order a shirt in either white or dark gray. All shirts are $20.
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show in iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.