In this week’s show, we are joined by Geoff Longenecker, the founder of Seven Caves Spirits. Since this is part 1 of our collaboration with Alt Brew Show, we are joined by Josh Hembree of Setting Sun Sake as a guest co-host. Once you are done with this show, please head over the listen to the continuation on Alt Brew Show.
We wonder how and why he decided to start up a distillery. We get into his brew system and how it differs from a brewery’s system. There is a small aside on the myth that brewers and distillers drink all day long while brewing. We have an update on the fire at SD Distillery and their current status. Afterwards, Geoff talks about the first San Diego Distillers Guild festival. We wonder what were the two rums we were poured and talk more about his process of making it. During the conversation, we find out how much liquid is wasted. Brian opens up an Oud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille as we talk about Belgian beers. We then delve into his future batches which then moves onto a consistency conversation.
After a break, we come back to Geoff talking about the stainless steel workshop next door and being in a bonded warehouse. We find out more about some of the rums and scotches Geoff has in his collection. Then we delve into the news and other segments.
In the News
- Savagewood Brewing buys O’Sullivan! They will keep a few of their most popular beers but rebrand the facility to Savagewood. They will also keep contract brewing (at Groundswell) due to production at the facility being limited to 500 ish barrels.
- Deft Brewing is open! Located at 5328 Banks St, Ste A, 92110 – open Thursday through Sunday – early reports are the beers are well made!
- Kilowatt brought in head brewer Brian Crecely, formerly of AleSmith and will be upgrading their brew house from 3 to 7 barrels!
- The HopStash Kickstarter was canceled by Craft Beerd.
- Congrats to all #SDBeer winners at GABF!
- Sexist beers labels (and brewery names) are STILL around, read more about the current controversy here and here.
I Do Declare!
Thank you, The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Ken Lierman, Chris Bush, Tony Bagz, Tom Keliinoi, Nick Shields, Ryan DeBusk, West Coaster, Dave V, Roger Smith, Captain Eli, Craftbeeray, Vance Arthurs, Bill Benzel, Alana Gomez, Patrick Zacharias, Greg Nagel, Neil Halpin, John Allegretti, Scott Schmalbach, Brian Goold, Matt Landes, Cyrus B, Ben, Hoppy Craftsmen Podcast, and (NEW!) Shawn Coady!
Where to find our guests:
This episode was recorded at Seven Caves Spirits.
Check out our new Support Us! page!
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way, we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value in ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards for even more value we can give our best fans!
Buy a T-shirt and put SD BeerTalk on your chest!
Go to store.sdbeertalk.com and pre-order a shirt in either white or dark gray. All shirts are $20.
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show in iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.