This episode is very different from any other show we have done. We were lucky enough to be invited to a presentation about mapping the genome of hops. This presentation was held in collaboration between Pacific Biosciences of California, the USDA, Oregon State University, and Sierra Nevada Brewing. The presentations you will hear are from John Henning (USDA) and Dr. David Hendrix (Oregon State University.)
Here are some interesting websites you can reference:
- PacBio: Whole Genome Sequencing
- USDA: Hop Cultivar Descriptions
- USDA: Publications by Henning
- Oregon State University: Hendrix Lab
- Oregon State University: HopBase: a unified genomic database for hop
In The News
- Modern Times is now 30% employee owned and is now in an ESOP. Hoping to be 100% employee owned as fast as possible. Read more about the program here.
- On that note, Modern Times is looking for people to come to an Encinitas City Council Meeting to help them get approved for their new tasting room.
- Date: Thursday, July 20th
- Place: Council Chambers, Civic Center, 505 South Vulcan Avenue, Encinitas, CA 92024
- Time: 6 PM
- Upcoming brewery alert! Circle 9 Brewing slated to open in late July/early August -7292 Opportunity Road, Kearny Mesa.
- New Brewery Alert! Escondido Brewing Company – 649 Rock Springs Road, Escondido – one-and-a-half barrel – Fridays 4 to 8 PM Saturdays from 2 to 8 PM.
- Not Ironfire, Hess Brewing is teaming up with City Tacos to bring you a unique location in Imperial Beach. Just steps from the pier, hoping to be open in early ’18. Story found here.
- Official San Diego beer is “72 and hoppy” and will be brewed by Beer from Bay City with help from San Diego Tourism Authority. Story found here.
I Do Declare!
Thank you, The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Tait Campbell, Ken Lierman, Chris Bush, Mitch Tantrum, Tony Bagz, Aaron Graham, Tom Keliinoi, Nick Shields, Ryan DeBusk, West Coaster, Dave V, Roger Smith, Captain Eli, Craftbeeray, Vance Arthurs, Bill Benzel, Alana Gomez, Patrick Zacharias, Ryan Fowler, Greg Nagel, Neil Halpin, John Allegretti, and Scott Schmalbach!
Check out our new Support Us! page!
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way, we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value in ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards we have, even more value we can give our best fans!
Buy a T-shirt and put SD BeerTalk on your chest!
Go to store.sdbeertalk.com and pre-order a shirt in either white or dark gray. All shirts are $20.
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show in iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.