We have another anniversary show, that’s two in a row! Last week we got the opportunity to celebrate with Societe and this week we were invited to help celebrate a newer brewery, Longship Brewery. We are joined by their owner and head brewer Dan Jachimowicz, the tasting room manager and event coordinator Ryan Celeste, and assistant brewer Chuck Nation. Due to the nature of the party, where all three of these guys had to make sure their patrons were being served, we started with the first news topic and then interviewed Dan. We ended up doing the rest of the news in between the other interviews.
In the News!
- Ebullition Brew Works is now open. It is located at 2449 Cades Way Suite D, Vista, CA 92081.
- The BA launched a new seal to support independent breweries.
- Logo (and idea) was a year in development
- As of the recording, there are 883 breweries signed up (approx. 17%)
- Nominal fee is not enforced right now, could be in the future
- “Six viewpoints” video and op-ed in Chicago Tribune
- Brands featured in the video: Elysian, Wicked Weed, 10 Barrel, Four Peaks, The High End, Devils Backbone
- From the UT – The Lemon Grove City Council has hopped on board with other cities across the county, unanimously agreeing to change its zoning laws to allow alcoholic beverage manufacturing in certain areas of the city. A zone change would mean Lemon Grove will allow breweries, wineries, distilleries, brewpubs and wine bars in certain industrial and commercial zones. A final vote will be on July 18th.
- Ironfire is opening up two tasting rooms, one in Temecula’s “Old Town” and one in SD, most likely Imperial Beach. No address for the San Diego location yet. Story from the West Coaster.
Dan joins us and talks about his start in craft beer. We ask him why he chose to theme the brewery around Vikings. Dan then delves into some of his most popular beers. That conversation goes directly into how craft beer drinkers like everything new and shiny and Dan talk about how they try to please every type of drinker. Dan ends the conversation with a very heartfelt, emotional statement about his patrons and what they mean to him.
After a break and some more news, we are joined by Ryan. Ryan talks about the tasting room and if dogs and kids are allowed. Beagle runs down the beer list and asks Ryan to explain the beers and explain what each one is. Since Ryan is also the events coordinator, Ryan goes into some future event and goals they want to do now that the first year is in the past. I wonder what is something Ryan thought he was comfortable with before working for Longship but then realized he knew nothing about.
After another break, we come back to finish up the news segment. Just as we are closing down the show, our last guest Chuck shows up. We ask Chuck how he got started with Longship and what he does for Longship. We ask him about some of the beers he’s brewed at Longship as well. Beagle wants to know what Chuck drinks when he’s had a long day and what he will drink for this hot summer. We also wonder what differences he has found brewing on a professional system. We end the show with what Chuck would tell a non-craft beer drinker to get them into craft beer.
I Do Declare!
Thank you, The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Tait Campbell, Ken Lierman, Chris Bush, Mitch Tantrum, Tony Bagz, Aaron Graham, Tom Keliinoi, Nick Shields, Ryan DeBusk, Eddie Martin, West Coaster, Dave V, Roger Smith, Captain Eli, Craftbeeray, Vance Arthurs, Bill Benzel, Alana Gomez, Patrick Zacharias, Ryan Fowler, Greg Nagel, Neil Halpin, and John Allegretti!
Where to find our guests:
This episode was recorded live at Longship Brewery.
Check out our new Support Us! page!
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way, we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value in ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards we have, even more value we can give our best fans!
Buy a T-shirt and put SD BeerTalk on your chest!
Go to store.sdbeertalk.com and pre-order a shirt in either white or dark gray. All shirts are $20.
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show in iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.