Societe Brewing celebrated its quinquennial anniversary on June 24th and we were there! The folks at Societe were nice enough to invite us for the festival. While last year Societe hosted The First Quadrennial Brewers’ Games, where different breweries competed in different events to win awards, this year’s festival was more traditional with unlimited beer and an added benefit of some really nice food and beer pairings. After the festival, those who bought a ticket for the feast got themselves a five-course dinner which was an exclusive rare beer and food pairing. The group tasked with the food pairings for both the Fest and the Feast was The Five Chef Societe, headed by Karl Prohaska and includes many of the top chefs in San Diego.
In the News!
- Intergalactic Brewing is unsure of its future. Alex knows the current business plan is not working well enough to give his family when they need to live. Ideally, he would like to find investors to keep the doors open. However, he is not opposed to selling the equipment or the company in full. This change may happen in a few weeks or may happen in a few months, he is not sure.
- AleSmith Brewing’s collab with Sublime, Sublime Mexican Lager (40oz. to Freedom,) will be pre-sold in Eventbrite for $9.99 for the 40oz. bottle on July 8th and picked up at the brewery on or after July 15th. 12oz. cans will be sold at the brewery and in stores on or after July 15th.
- Coronado Brewing is building a 1,000 square foot kitchen at their Bay Ho location. They want to offer a higher standard of food and make sure it is more consistent. The kitchen will have countertop equipment and a double level pizza oven for items like paninis, pizza, and other bar-like foods.
Taglines of Breweries Game
- Drink Helix
Dedicated to the Craft
- For Sinners and Saints Alike
- Artfully Engineered
- Off-Centered Ales for Off-Centered People
- Planted in 2016
- Old School Beer for New School Palates
- Godfather of Beer
- Unparalleled Craft
- Love Your Mother
- Tastes Like Wizards
- No Practice is Sacred
- Sip. seize. enjoy.
- Drink Freakin Awesome Beer
- Put Some South in Your Mouth
- Ales & Lagers – Friends & Neighbors
- Stay Coastal
- Culinary Soul Infused Into Every Drop
- Tasty Grub & Grog
- Great Beer. No Exceptions
- Drink. Pour. Explore (Actual slogan “Pour. Drink. Explore.”)
- For the Love of the Beer
We come back from the break with Karl Prohaska, the head chef at Kitchens for Good and The Five Chef Societe. Karl gives the listeners a rundown of what The Five Chef Societe is and what the anniversary party “Feast” entails. Karl goes over the food that was at the festival and feast. We then get into what Karl is up to now, which is helping people who are having a rough time in life learn life skills like cooking, financial needs, and a lot more.
After another break, we are back with Doug from Societe. After a visit from Bobby Mathews, Doug talks about the new beers they released for the anniversary party. During the explanation of the beers, we have our first sacrifice of the day, at least one we saw. Doug explains how they made their newest Farrel beer, The Thief, and he talks about flavors and what he thinks separates their Farrel beers from “sour” beers. Finally, we ask Doug about the South African hop controversy and he gives the craft beer drinkers some very good advice.
During this break, we left the mics alone and Jeff from Burning Beard and Bobby Mathews who is infamous in the San Diego beer scene, get on the mics for some karaoke. Eventually, Brian gets on the mic to transition the show to our final segments as the festival comes to a close.
I Do Declare!
Thank you, The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Tait Campbell, Ken Lierman, Chris Bush, Mitch Tantrum, Tony Bagz, Aaron Graham, Tom Keliinoi, Nick Shields, Ryan DeBusk, Eddie Martin, West Coaster, Roger Smith, Captain Eli, Craftbeeray, Vance Arthurs, Bill Benzel, Alana Gomez, Patrick Zacharias, and Ryan Fowler!
Where to find our guests:
This episode was recorded live at Societe Brewing.
Check out our new Support Us! page!
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way, we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value in ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards we have, even more value we can give our best fans!
Buy a T-shirt and put SD BeerTalk on your chest!
Go to store.sdbeertalk.com and pre-order a shirt in either white or dark gray. All shirts are $20.
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show in iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.