Barrel Republic is a very different experience when it comes to a craft beer restaurant. Their draft lines are set up as a pour-it-yourself system where you pour your own beer, wine, cider, kombucha, and coffee. You walk in, get yourself a bracelet that is personalized to you, and then grab a glass and pour whatever you want. We are joined by Sean Hale, the general manager, and Mike Brown, the executive chef.
The standard podcast question is asked, what got them into craft beer. From there we get a tease of what Barrel Republic is known for, their digital draft system. Then our food comes out so we ask Mike about their food. After explaining a few dishes on their menu, Brian wants to know what they top selling dishes are. Brian then wants to know what their most original dishes are.
After a break, we come back and start to ask them about how their draft system but we get interrupted by a train and then I have to ask about blended beers. Then more food comes to the table, but we do get back to the process of walking into Barrel Republic and how the entire process works. We get into the draft system, their glassware, how to clean the glasses, when to get new glasses, and more about what limits there are.
- niccka (Instagram: niccka) – Are there refunds on foam?
- Travis Hudson (Instagram: craftbeerluv619) – Are there any empty kegs they need me to pick up?
In The News!
- We’re featured in West Coaster! Direct link to the Q&A.
- AB-InBev’s “High End” Division bought Wicked Weed for an undisclosed amount. Article from The Full Pint.
- Heineken buys the other 50% from Lagunitas. Article from Brewbound.
- O’Sullivan Bros. is up for sale. Article from West Coaster.
- San Diego International Beer Festival Results can be found here.
- New Brewery Alert! Battlemage Brewing Co will be opening at 2870 Scott Street suite 102, Vista, California 92081 on May 6th.
- New/Old Brewery Alert! Align Brewing Co, formerly Pacific Brewing, opens/reopens at 8680 Miralani Dr – this is the same complex as 2Kids and Setting Sun.
- SD Taproom announces it will be building Taproom Beer Co brewpub and have signed on SD’s biggest free agent, Bill Batten to head brewing operations. They’ll be starting with a 7 BBL brewhouse and 50 taps and will be located at Florida and El Cajon Blvd.
- Kensington Brewing will finally have a location in, well, Kensington! They will be turning the famous video store into a tasting room. They’re hoping to be open this summer.
- Cellar 3 is celebrating their 2nd Anniversary on May 21st! VIP tickets that are only $25 (Wait List)
I Do Declare!
Thank you, The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Tait Campbell, Ken Lierman, Chris Bush, Mitch Tantrum, Tony Bagz, Aaron Graham, Tom Keliinoi, Nick Shields, Ryan DeBusk, Eddie Martin, West Coaster, Roger Smith, Captain Eli, Craftbeeray, Vance, and Bill!
Where to find our guests:
FaceBook (Pacific Beach): facebook.com/BarrelRepublic
FaceBook (Carlsbad): facebook.com/BarrelRepublicCbad
FaceBook (Oceanside): facebook.com/BarrelRepublicOside
This episode was recorded at Barrel Republic Carlsbad.
Check out our new Support Us! page!
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way, we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value in ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards we have, even more value we can give our best fans!
Buy a T-shirt and put SD BeerTalk on your chest!
Go to store.sdbeertalk.com and pre-order a shirt in either white or dark gray. All shirts are $20.
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show in iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.