Surprise! We have released this episode early. We are back at The Brew Project after a long string of episodes at breweries and tasting rooms. We are joined by the “chillest” people in San Diego craft beer, Sleepaway Brew Co. We are joined by the co-founder Tommy K., head brewer or brewmaster Scotty, and brewer Raddison. Later on, we are joined by Tom, Aaron, and Addison from What’s on Draft? and Carlie Smith from Rock Bottom La Jolla.
We totally get down to why they are the “chillest” brewery in San Diego. They explain how money can make everything better. Raddison explains about his history and education and how he could “Name Your Own Salary.” Tommy goes into the beer that got them into craft beer. They talk about some of their beers and how they come up with their crazy recipes. We do have one listener question about using surf wax in a future beer.
After a needed break, we come back with the actual show of What’s on Draft? Brian is curious how it feels finishing up season 2 and if season 3 will happen. That leads into a conversation into their Kickstarter campaign and how others did not fare as lucky. The conversation morphs into their last episode and all about 10 Barrel opening up and the plane that will fly above their grand opening block party. Once the talking points move to #IndieBeer, Carli chimes in and explain how Rock Bottom may not be independent but they are also not lobbying to hurt craft brewers.
In the News!
- Ryan Brooks from Coronado has bigger plans, he is opening SouthNorte Brewing Co., with Coronado founders Ron and Rick Chapman. It will combine elements of Mexico’s burgeoning beer scene with the craft culture here in San Diego.
- A “San Diego Beer Fan” created a GoFundMe campaign to fly a plane above Makers Quarter during the 10 Barrel Block Party. It already happened to raise $4800 and flying at least twice. Found out it was Robert Esparza.
- New Brewery Alert! Smoking Cannon Brewery joins ChuckAlek in Ramona at 780 Main Street. Even though their address is on Main St you access from 8th St. Open Wed-Sun. 7 beers and they make their own craft soda and cold brew.
- The Bruery has sold a majority stake to Boston-area private equity firm Castanea Partners. Tom First joined Castanea in July 2016 coming from First Beverage Ventures. Castanea had bought into Fuze and then sold it to Coca-Cola in 2007.
- 10th Anniversary Craft Beer Festival celebrating the Pink Boots Society! All proceeds from the festival will benefit the Pink Boots Society Scholarship program that helps women in the brewing industry, advance their careers. June 3 at Liberty Station, $45 Advanced, $15 DD, or $60 Day of.
I Do Declare!
Thank you, The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Tait Campbell, Ken Lierman, Chris Bush, Mitch Tantrum, Tony Bagz, Aaron Graham, Tom Keliinoi, Nick Shields, Ryan DeBusk, Eddie Martin, West Coaster, Roger Smith, Captain Eli, Craftbeeray, Vance Arthurs, and Bill Benzel!
Where to find our guests:
This episode was recorded at The Brew Project.
Check out our new Support Us! page!
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way, we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value in ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards we have, even more value we can give our best fans!
Buy a T-shirt and put SD BeerTalk on your chest!
Go to store.sdbeertalk.com and pre-order a shirt in either white or dark gray. All shirts are $20.
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show in iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.