We head to Downtown San Diego just before the Padres have their opening weekend to visit Half Door Brewing. In this episode, we are joined by guest co-host Derek Gillespie, from Mash Heads, Andy Newbom, coffee entrepreneur and guest of Alt Brew Show Episode 4, and our guest Dan Drayne, the Brewmaster of Half Door. Get ready for a very drunk, and fast-talking conversation with Dan.
P.S. If you happen to like skateboarding then make sure to stay until the end.
Dan started his roots with cider surprisingly enough. From there and after more homebrewing he got a job at Coronado. From there he got a job canning and eventually got into brewing. We talk a little bit about where the name came from for Half Door which goes into a small talk about trademarks. We then get into the size of his brewhouse and what kind of beers he generally brews. Dan starts to get into places that have core beers and we take an unexpected early break.
After coming back from the break, we are in the middle of Dan talking about the BJCP with Andy and how it could be seen as outdated. Not surprisingly that leads us into a talk about water and how San Diego does not have the best water, Dan is actually “Passionately hate the water..” Next up, the newest trend in beer, hazy IPAs and how Dan makes some of the best ones in the city. After the haze talk, Dan talks more about what sells well. That leads into a discussion of distribution. We switch topics over to Downtown San Diego and how it is when the Padres games are going on. We get back to the beer and Brian is curious how things like hop oil, lupulin powder, and other items from hops.
- Travis Hudson (Instagram: craftbeerluv619) – Ask Dan who his favorite distributor driver is.
- Chance Shay (Instagram: chanceshay) – How did Dan learn the NE IPA style? CommentchanceshayAlso, why is he still out throwing around kegs? Haha I see him loading kegs all the time.
- Raul Meza (Instagram: raulmeza83) – Any bourbon barrel aged beers?
In The News!
- Padres are back! 500:1 odds for World Series (Woo!) But at least we have THE BEST craft choices in Petco Park – Carnitas’ Snack Shack, Wonderland Ocean Pub, Resident Brewing Co., Iron Fist Brewing Co., AleSmith Brewing Co. & Cutwater Spirits added to food & beverage lineup.
- Urge Common House opening in San Marcos, Monday April 10th, 5PM. 15-barrel brewhouse, restaurant, 8 lane bowling alley, bocce ball, cornhole, and other games.
- We are recording at Mission Valley Craft Beer & Food Festival! April 15th, tickets still on sale, GA $60 VIP $90 ($65 & $100 at the gate, if not sold out)
- Avery Brewing Introduces bourbon barrel-aged Coconut Porter just for Brian!
I Do Declare!
Thank you The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Tait Campbell, Ken Lierman, Chris Bush, Mitch Tantrum, Tony Bagz, Aaron Graham, Tom Keliinoi, Nick Shields, Ryan DeBusk, Eddie Martin, West Coaster, Roger Smith, Captain Eli, Craftbeeray, and Vance for the beers sent to us!
Where to find our guests:
This episode was recorded at Half Door Brewing Co.
Check out our new Support Us! page!
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value in ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards we have, even more value we can give our best fans!
Buy a T-shirt and put SD BeerTalk on your chest!
Go to store.sdbeertalk.com and pre-order a shirt in either white or dark gray. All shirts are $20.
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show in iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.