We are back in North Park this week, to be exact we are at North Park Beer Co. Kelsey McNair joins us to talk all about his brewery and how it was going straight from homebrewer to professional brewer and owner. Who needs to start at the bottom?
While we do start with the usual question, we do get into the meat of the interview fairly quickly. After talking about the really cool tasting room and his rise from homebrewer to pro, we get into a few beers that are drinking that night. We then go into the North Park staff and how is it that he has had very little turnover since opening. We get into the specifications of the brewhouse and some of the issues he had opening up. After drinking another beer we take a break.
After the break, we get into a listener question that delves even more added onto it about how Kelsey figures out his recipes and if he just brews recipes he comes up with without testing them. We then continue on with the rest of the listener questions.
- Chancelor Shay (Instagram: chanceshay) – What factors into deciding what style beers to brew and how to brew them?
- 2 Pints Marketing (Instagram: 2pintsmarketing) – How did your early memories of beer influence your brewing style?
- Joaquin Basauri (Instagram: joaqbrews) – When are peracetic punch recording their debut album?
- Jake Collins (Instagram: jakewilliamcollinsthefirst) – I’ve always found the service in the tasting room to be pretty solid. What are Kelsey thoughts on the service side of running a brewpub?
- Nick Napoletano (Instagram: thenick80) – When is he coming to Fresno?
In The News!
- New Brewery Alert! – Rouleur Brewing Co is now open at 5840 El Camino Real, Suite 101, Carlsbad – joining Wiseguy Brewing Co. at the new Brewery Igniter building – grand opening for both is April 8th but why wait!
- Coronado Brewing Company announces a new partnership with the Surfrider Foundation, the leading nonprofit organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of the coasts, with the launch of a new collaboration beer, CoastWise Session IPA. Starting April 1, 2017. Session IPA is brewed with a blend of Mosaic and Sorachi Ace, 5%.
- Congrats to Abnormal (2 years) and Burning Beard (1 year) for their Anniversaries that already happened.
- NOVO Brazil 2nd Anniversary, April 8. 1-6PM Tickets: $10 per person ($1 will go to the A Night to Remember Organization) includes: (Purchase here)
- Limited edition 2nd anniversary glass.
- General admission from 1-6pm.
- Entry into drawing
- Live entertainment
- Friends Ska Brewing is re-releasing their Mexican Logger for the Summer. Fresh grains and Saaz hops, 5.2% hit shelves April 5 alone and in mixed 12-packs.
- Brewers Association Reports Steady Growth in 2016 – With over 5,300 breweries operating during the year, small and independent craft brewers represent 12.3% market share by volume of the overall beer industry. In 2016, craft brewers produced 24.6 million barrels, adding 1.4 million barrels, craft brewer growth outpaced the 1.2 million barrels lost from the craft segment, based on purchases.
- L.A. Brewers Guild Withdraw from May 6 Galaxy Event – Cheers & Beers event which was to take place at the StubHub Center on May 6th. New requirements to include brands that do not meet the Guild’s definition of “craft beer” have unfortunately caused them to pull the event which would have featured over 15 small and independently-owned L.A. Brewers. (Thanks to Cody for the heads up)
I Do Declare!
Thank you The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Tait Campbell, Ken Lierman, Chris Bush, Mitch Tantrum, Tony Bagz, Aaron Graham, Tom Keliinoi, Nick Shields, Ryan DeBusk, Eddie Martin, West Coaster, Roger Smith, Captain Eli, Craftbeeray, and Vance for the beers sent to us!
Where to find our guests:
This episode was recorded at North Park Beer Co.
Check out our new Support Us! page!
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value in ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards we have, even more value we can give our best fans!
Buy a T-shirt and put SD BeerTalk on your chest!
Go to store.sdbeertalk.com and pre-order a shirt in either white or dark gray. All shirts are $20.
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show in iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.