This week we meet a young owner and brewer with a very supportive family. We interview Cameron Ball of Helix Brewing Co. We are also joined by the newly hired assistant brewer Michael which will help Cameron with having to not do so much by himself.
After getting though their first craft beers, Cameron gets going into his homebrewing history, engineering background, and building the brewery. We happen to be sitting next to his barrels so Brian’s interest is peaked. Cameron talks about his barrels and future sour releases. Like Societe, they aren’t 100% sure when the sours will be released, but they hope soon. When they do release, you’ll have to keep watching their social media. We delve into their brewing practices, how their brewery is built out, and their distribution, or lack thereof. Since Michael was fairly quiet we wanted to see what his brewing history was like.
After a break, we come back and talk about their most popular beers which includes a rotating DIPA in which four DIPAs will come out throughout the year. We find out about what the heck the “Cameron Switch” is. We find out also what they want the Helix experience to be. Part of that is their Tuesday $10 All-You-Can-Eat taco night. Can you beat the record of 21 tacos? Next up we move onto our news.
In The News!
- Indian Joe Brewing is open! 2123 Industrial Court, Vista, California 92081
- Giveaway! We’re giving away a pair of tickets to The 5th Annual Bankers Hill Art & Craft Beer Festival – Friday, March 31 (6-9pm) in partnership with the San Diego Brewers Guild. Taking place at The Abbey on Fifth Avenue – a historic 10,000 square foot venue – this event will showcase many San Diego breweries, Bankers Hill restaurants and pop-up galleries from local artists to an expected 500 attendees. Tickets are affordably priced at $30 per person ($25 early bird pricing available through March 13) and will grant guests access to complimentary pours from approximately fifteen San Diego breweries including Resident Brewing Company, Hillcrest Brewing Company, Karl Strauss Brewing Company, Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant, Thorn Street Brewery, Pizza Port Brewing Company, Coronado Brewing Co., Pure Project and more.
- ABInBev Distribution fined $400,000 for illegally providing refrigeration units, televisions, and draft systems to retail outlets. 34 retail outlets are being fined as well – more info at ABC.CA.GOV
- San Diego Beer Works is now Bottle Craft Solana Beach – 437 S Highway 101 in Solana Beach
- Coronado Brewing to construct new facility in Imperial Beach – part of the Bikeway Village project – Their plan is to install a full-service restaurant and 10-barrel brewery in the immediate future, then follow that up down the road with a distillery. The restaurant will come in around 7,000-square-feet and include outdoor space that will be outfitted with seating and fire-pits. A temporary tasting room will be constructed this summer.
- SD Homebrew Fest – a special event during which the homebrewers and their beers are the main focus. Come taste 35+ unique homebrews and mingle with the homebrewers themselves. http://www.sdhomebrewfest.com/ $40 $55 w/shirt
I Do Declare!
Thank you The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Tait Campbell, Ken Lierman, Chris Bush, Mitch Tantrum, Tony Bagz, Aaron Graham, Tom Keliinoi, Nick Shields, Ryan DeBusk, Eddie Martin, West Coaster, Roger Smith, Captain Eli, and Craftbeeray!
Where to find our guests:
This episode was recorded at Helix Brewing Co.
Check out our new Support Us! page!
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value in ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards we have, even more value we can give our best fans!
Buy a T-shirt and put SD BeerTalk on your chest!
Go to store.sdbeertalk.com and pre-order a shirt in either white or dark grey. All shirts are $20.
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show in iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.