It was not planned, but our 102nd episode features the brewery that Kyle Wiskerchen used to work at before Division 23. We are recording this episode with Ed O’Sullivan from his name sake, O’Sullivan Bros. Brewing. We were very surprised and excited to learn that Ed and his crew are very scientific focused and don’t brew your standard San Diego style beers.
Seeing how Ed’s namesake is in the brewery name, we ask him where he got his knowledge from. He went through one of the first UCSD Extension program for brewing. He is now also an instructor with that program. Ed moves into talking about his brewhouse. He ended up getting it from Brewmation which partners with Stout Tanks and Kettles. We find out that they brew mainly malty beers, but there is an IPA on tap. Ed talks about the ownership structure of the brewery and all his brothers (and sister.) Before the show we saw he has a lab so Brian is very interested in how he treats his water. From there Ed talks about the rest of the equipment in the lab which starts with the ability to do yeast cell counts. Another surprising aspect of the brewery, is they foam down the brewery every 30 days with acid to wash the breweries. Finally, the lab helps they tracks the gravity of the beers and they plot it for reference.
After a break we come back some listener beer and a talk about the Reinheitsgebot and how O’Sullivan Bros. follows it. We move into a listener question from Hauck Architecture about why the brew English style beers. We then get into our news and other topics.
In The News!
- Horus Aged Ales to open – The brewery will only be selling barrel-aged beers. Only about 150 to 650 total 750-milliliter bottles per-batch. Horus’ 1st beer, a sour ale, to debut at Bine & Vine. (4040 Calle Platino, Suite 120, Oceanside)
- O’Sullivan Bros. Brewing is doing a St. Patrick’s Day celebration and Irish Kilt Contest. No tickets, the event info can be found on the Facebook event page.
- Societe 5th Anniversary Party – Dinner is SOLD OUT. The Festival will be June 24, 2017 at 1-5PM. Features:
- Entrance to the festival
- A “festival-strength” commemorative SOCIETE 5 glass
- Unlimited beer (including a wine barrel-aged Feral beer) and food from the chef stations (while supplies last)
- Access to the unlimited beers being served in our tasting room during the festival
- Access to limited-edition SOCIETE 5 apparel
- AND………..You get to see our pretty faces all day (until the dinner)
I Do Declare!
Thank you The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Tait Campbell, Ken Lierman, Chris Bush, Mitch Tantrum, Tony Bagz, Aaron Graham, Tom Keliinoi, Nick Shields, Ryan DeBusk, Eddie Martin, West Coaster, Roger Smith, Captain Eli, and Craftbeeray!
Where to find our guests:
This episode was recorded at O’Sullivan Bros. Brewing.
Check out our new Support Us! page!
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value in ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards we have, even more value we can give our best fans!
Buy a T-shirt and put SD BeerTalk on your chest!
Go to store.sdbeertalk.com and pre-order a shirt in either white or dark grey. All shirts are $20.
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show in iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.