NEW BREWERY ALERT AGAIN! This time it really is a brand new brewery. We are recording at the grand opening of Pariah Brewing Co. If you’ve been listening to the show for a while you know this brewery is a long time coming. Brain Mitchell, the owner and head brewer, has been on the show many times and we are stoked to see his dream of owning a brewery come true. Before we get into the interview, we delve into the news as to let brewer Brian enjoy his Grand Opening as the first patrons come through the door. We’ll be sure to get back to Brian in a bit.
In The News!
- West Coaster’s Best 16 in ‘16!
- Best SD Beer: Normcore Pilsner by Burning Beard Brewing (Episode 61)
- Best SD Brewery: Societe Brewing Co.
- Best Brewpub: Abnormal Beer Co. / Cork & Craft (Episode 26)
- Best Professional Brewer: Paul Segura from Karl Strauss Brewing
- Best Homebrewer: Nick Corona from QUAFF (Episode 22)
- Best Tasting Room: North Park Beer Co.
- Best New Beer Spot: Mikkeller San Diego (Episode 53)
- Best Beer Bar: Hamilton’s Tavern
- Best Beer Restaurant: Urge American Gastropub (Episode 71)
- Best SD IPA: Hop Fu by North Park Beer Co.
- Best Homebrew Shop: The Homebrewer (Episode 2)
- Best Beer Region: Miramar
- Best Beer Selection / Tap Rotation: The Brew Project (Episode 19 & Home Base!)
- Best Festival: Modern Times Festival of Dankness / Festival of Funk
- Best Bottleshop: Bottlecraft Beer Shop
- Most Underrated Brewery: New English Brewing Co.
- More details about the On the Tracks closure. In a story by Ian Anderson in San Diego Reader. Ian finds out some of the reasons On the Tracks closed. Read the article here.
After a break from the news we are joined by Brian Mitchell. We discuss his beers that are on tap right now:
- Off White Wit – Belgian-style white beer brewed with honey, Jasmine green tea, lemongrass, orange slices and ginger.
- Dorcha Extra Stout – This take on a foreign extra stout is a rich and decedent brew overflowing with aromas and flavors of coffee, dark fruits, licorice, tobacco and bitter chocolate. We use a proprietary locally roasted coffee, molasses and super awesome organic, fair trade, cocoa nibs.
- Dank Drank IPA – Hop-bursted west coast India pale ale.
- Drupe Fruit IPA – West coast India pale ale brewed with mango flesh, peach flesh and hemp oil.
- Erotic City – Ale brewed with muscat grape, honey and grains of paradise.
- Uni Stout – Winter seasonal stout brewed with San Diego sea urchin uni, lactose and sea salt – served on nitro.
Brian also talks about opening the brewery finally and how he can now let his team of talented people take the reigns and make sure his beers get out to the right people. Brian also gave Beagle a nice surprise for all the hard work he has done.
After another break we come back with a special guest, Jeff Drum from San Diego Brewing Co. We figured since there’s a brewery next door, let’s get another interview in the show. Jeff talks about his experience so far at CRAFT and how their new tasting room and brewery is helping them re-ignite their brand in this more mature craft beer scene. We ask Jeff about some of his beers and something you don’t see everyday, kombucha. We take one last break and we finish out the show.
I Do Declare!
Thank you The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Tait Campbell, Ken Lierman, Chris Bush, Mitch Tantrum, Tony Bagz, Aaron Graham, Tom Keliinoi, Nick Shields, Ryan DeBusk, Eddie Martin, West Coaster, Roger Smith, Captain Eli, and Craftbeeray!
Where to find our guests:
This episode was recorded at Pariah Brewing Co.
Check out our new Support Us! page!
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value in ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards we have, even more value we can give our best fans!
Buy a T-shirt and put SD BeerTalk on your chest!
Go to store.sdbeertalk.com and order a shirt in either white or dark grey. All shirts are $20.
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show in iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.