The end of 2016 has arrived (finally) so we wanted to do something a little different. We’ve invited some listeners to come by and talk about 2016 as it pertains to San Diego beer. No politics, no celebrities dying, nothing really negative, we want dot celebrate what 2016 brought to the San Diego Independent beer community. We do talk a little bit about what we lost too.
There’s no interview, we start the show with some 2016 stats.
New Brewing Locations: 23 New Brewing Licenses: 20
- Amplified Ale Works (Miramar)
- Barn Brewing
- Belching Beaver (Oceanside)
- Belching Beaver Tavern & Grill (Vista)
- Bitter Brothers
- Burgeon Beer
- Burning Beard
- Culver Beer
- Eppig Brewing
- KnB Brewery
- Knotty Brewing
- Little Miss Brewing
- Longship Brewery
- Midnight Jack Brewing
- Mikkeller San Diego
- North Park Beer
- OB Brewery
- Oceanside Brewing
- Prodigy Brewing
- Pure Project Brewing
- Resident Brewing
- SR76 Beer Works
- Thunderhawk Alements
Closed Breweries: 5
- Urbn Street Brewing
- Twisted Manzanita Brewing
- Pacific Brewing
- Valley Center Brewing
- Julian Brewing
Total #IndieBeer Breweries in SD: 112
After a break we come back with Brian Mitchell from Pariah Brewing and he talks about the beers he will have on tap when he opens.
In The News!
- Modern Times announces new location in Encinitas to open in 2017 – The aesthetic of the Far West Lounge will be luxurious mid-century tropical, complimented by some of our psychedelic DIY design and art installations. 32 taps will pour a ceaseless supply of exceedingly tasty beers brewed at the Lomaland Fermentorium and our planned locations in L.A. and Anaheim. – 470 S. Highway 101, Encinitas, CA 92024.
- Booze Brothers expanding – Instagram showed a video of an empty room and the caption #TookOverTheWholeBuilding
- Bobby Matthews leaving Alpine/Green Flash – Where will he land? Burning Beard maybe?
2016 Important News Topics
- 10 Barrel coming to town, planning commission meeting, SD Beer Forum
- Stone Farms closed, True Craft starts, new CEO, Stone layoffs,
- One year of #Indiebeer
- #SouthBayUprising grows
- OB beer scene grows
- Downtown Johnny Brown’s closes
- Brewery Ignitor opens 1st, 2nd, and starts 3rd locations
- Mikkeller SD is kinda a big deal
- Awards: 43 medals LA International Beer Competition, 57 medals at SD International Beer Competition, 14 awards World Beer Cup, 18 medals at GABF
- Mitch Steele, Chuck Silva, and Dr. Bill move on
- QUAFF back in the top spot
- Ballast Point executives and high level staff leave (let go?)
- Small Bar patio shuts down
- Cos leaves MP/SP and will leave SD in 2017
I Do Declare!
Thank you The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Tait Campbell, Ken Lierman, Chris Bush, Mitch Tantrum, Tony Bagz, Aaron Graham, Tom Keliinoi, Nick Shields, Ryan DeBusk, Eddie Martin, and West Coaster!
This episode was recorded at The Brew Project.
Check out our new Support Us! page!
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value in ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards we have, even more value we can give our best fans!
Buy a T-shirt and put SD BeerTalk on your chest!
Go to store.sdbeertalk.com and pre-order a shirt in either white or dark grey. All shirts are $15 during the pre-order when you use coupon code SDBT5.
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show in iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.