We are at our first brewery of 2017! We went over to one of the newer breweries in San Diego, Little Miss Brewing. We are joined by their Head Brewer Joe Lisica, Assistant Brewer Mike Morbitzer, and Sales Representative Ian Erskine. We hope you enjoy the wealth of knowledge this group of guys has in the industry.
Usually we start with the history of the brewers, but in this case we get right to the reason they decided to build a tasting room in a brewery where there was not going to be a tasting room. We then get into what is their intro into craft beer. From there it’s easy to move into their history in brewing industry. Joe has a lot of history in this industry and there happens to be a little name dropping going on. We change direction and talk about how their brewery is not separated from the tasting room and if that is legal. Speaking of the tasting room, the guys discuss where the armed forces them came from and how some of the props were acquired. After talking about hazy vs. clear beers, we do get into their lineup and find out what they are all about.
After a break we come back with some Fieldwork Brewing Co. beers given to us by Matthew (therealmatatat). From there we continue the discussion of their beers. After some tangents we get back to the real talk and we ask them about their two new tasting rooms, one on Adams Ave. and one in Ocean Beach. Since we were running late this night, we move into our news topics.
In The News!
- Sierra Nevada recalls 8 beers because a bottle flaw could hurt drinkers – 12-ounce bottles in 35 states, a bottle flaw that could cause glass-related injuries. Pale Ale, Hop Hunter IPA and Torpedo Extra IPA, which were bottled and packaged at its brewery in Mills River, N.C., between early December and mid-January. More info in this Washington Post article.
- Genomics of Beer – John Henning (USDA), David Hendrix (Oregon State U), Thanks to Pacific Biosciences! We’ll be releasing the presentation soon, stay tuned!
- Align Brewing Company (Was Pacific Brewing) has started their build out! Follow them on Facebook or Twitter for more info.
- Kilowatt OB Tasting Room Opens January 27th! find them at 1875 Cable Street, Ocean Beach.
- 32 North Closes Liberty Public Market Tasting Room – Steve (owner) stated he is eager to reassign time and resources spent on Moniker General toward a new barrel-aging facility and taproom hybrid. Unlike the Liberty Station taproom, it will be his alone, allowing for greater freedom over the space.
- Indian Joe delays opening until 3/2/17 – they received some larger fermentors (60 bbl) earlier than expected, so more construction.
I Do Declare!
Thank you The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Tait Campbell, Ken Lierman, Chris Bush, Mitch Tantrum, Tony Bagz, Aaron Graham, Tom Keliinoi, Nick Shields, Ryan DeBusk, Eddie Martin, West Coaster, Roger Smith, and Captain Eli!
Where to find our guests:
This episode was recorded at Little Miss Brewing.
Check out our new Support Us! page!
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value in ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards we have, even more value we can give our best fans!
Buy a T-shirt and put SD BeerTalk on your chest!
Go to store.sdbeertalk.com and pre-order a shirt in either white or dark grey. All shirts are $20.
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show in iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.