We are back on track with our normal release schedule. We are joined this episode with Cody Nelson and Lauren Michelson from the Balboa Park Cultural Partnership and who are both part of Maker Faire San Diego.
What is Maker Faire? Cody and Lauren start in on explaining what Maker Faire is. We get sidetracked pretty early and talk about how the GoFundMe campaign for Magnetic Brewing was shut down. Getting back on track, the ladies talk about Maker Faire and how they are hoping to take the success of the Maker Faire San Francisco and bring it here to San Diego. This will be the 2nd year of Maker Faire, but this is the first time brewers and breweries were invited. Not only are people who make beer, but also those who are making things around the brewing industry.
Oh you know…..LIKE US! SD BeerTalk is going be there recording and showing people what we do! Brian will be on vacation, so come see Greg and possibly a special guest while we do what we do for you. Please go buy your tickets for either Saturday, Sunday, or both days.
Talking about tickets, what you get for the tickets is entrance into many of the museums at Balboa Park:
- San Diego Museum of Man
- Japanese Friendship Garden
- Natural History Museum
- Reuben H. Fleet Science Center
- San Diego Automotive Museum
- San Diego Air & Space Museum
- San Diego Hall of Champions Sports Museum
- Museum of Photographic Arts
- San Diego History Center
- San Diego Model Railroad Museum
- Two Beer Gardens
Some of the guests they are going to have are:
- Star B Ranch
- The Homebrewer
- Sierra Nevada
- Stone Brewing
- No Homebrewers!?!? Contact them if you want to show off your homebrew and how you do it.
We take a break and come back with some talk about sending beer back at a bar. We get back to it and ask Lauren about her history with craft beer. That leads us into a conversation about GABF and BJCP style guidelines and how San Diego generally does not follow them. We get into some of the cool things you will see if you attend the faire. Beau comes and serves us some Henry McKenna bourbon which gets us talking about Cutwater Spirits. There will be food trucks at the event. Since there are tons of things to do and it is all over Balboa Park, there will be different food trucks at the North section vs. the south section.
In the News!
- Fizzics released their new system. Called WayTap, it can fit 12-25 oz. cans and 12 oz. bottles. (No bombers???) First 1000 units are $90. Kickstarter has already reached goal.
- Thunderhawk Alements is open! Friday & Saturday, 12-10pm, Sunday, 12-8pm
- Greg will be a beer judge at Pacific Beachfest BeerCup on Friday September 30th 5-8PM! We have 2 tickets to give away for Friday night! $50 value – Tweet “@sdbeertalk I want tickets to #PacificBeachFest” or something similar. We’ll pick a winner on Thursday.
- Pacific BeachFest continues on Saturday October 1st with a beer garden, Best Fish Taco Contest, multiple stages with bands, kids action alley, and local shops.
- We also have a 4-pack of tickets to Maker Faire! Tweet “@sdbeertalk I want tickets to #MakerFaireSanDiego” or something similar. We’ll pick a winner on Friday.
- The Brew Project is holding an Oktoberfest on October 8th. It will be 12-6PM at the San Diego Hard Rock hotel for $20 for basic entrance, $35 adds three 12 oz. pours, or $55 gives you a stein with two 32 oz. fills. Buy tickets!
It’s that time! Do we have 10 voicemails so Travis will shave Greg’s beard? Well, no we don’t, but we’ll still go through with it. We do have voicemails from ChewYourBeer, ScottyB, & Ryan.
I Do Declare!
Thank you The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Tait Campbell, Ken Lierman, Amy (and Rudy) Pollorena, Chris Bush, Mitch Tantrum, Tony Bagz, Aaron Graham, Tom Keliinoi, and Nick Shields! Also gotta make sure we do not forget Ryan and the awesome guys at 32 North!
Where to find our guests:
This episode was recorded at The Brew Project.
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value in ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards we have, even more value we can give our best fans!
Buy a T-shirt and put SD BeerTalk on your chest!
Go to store.sdbeertalk.com and pre-order a shirt in either white or dark grey. All shirts are $15 during the pre-order when you use coupon code SDBT5.
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show in iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.