We took a few weeks off while we posted the Craft Beer Block episodes for you. Greg and Brian are back with a new restaurant called Beerfish and we’ll give you three guesses on what they sell. We are joined by the owner of Beerfish, Abel Kaase. It was nice to be back behind the mics, enjoy the show!
Abel starts talking about how he got into the craft beer business. He started Sessions Public in 2010 after becoming friends with Jack White. That turns into how he hires his employees and five questions he asks every person before they start the interview. Talking about Ocean Beach, we talk about how big it is getting and go into having multiple tasting rooms versus brews pubs. We move the conversation into why Abel decided to build Beerfish. It then leads into where the fish comes from. From there Brian delves into asking Abel more about the construction of Beerfish and how long it took to build. Getting back to beer we find out that Beerfish has eight mainstay beer taps and 22 taps that rotate.
After the news we get back into it and move onto the fish part of Beerfish. From the fish we talk about the ambiance of the restaurant. We finish up the conversation with where people can find Beerfish and have a side conversation about beer lists and how to display them. One thing we forgot to talk about in the news was that What’s on Draft successfully funded their KickStarter. Also Intergalactic got around 70% of their goal from Indiegogo. Oh and one last thing, go vote for the Sore Eye Cup! Voting ends on July 17th.
In the News!
- Sardina leaving Societe for Hill Farmstead, Jill Davidson from Pizza Port will be taking over as President of the San Diego Brewers Guild.
- Longship Brewery Open, 10320 Camino Santa Fe, Suite C, Mira Mesa
- Ocean Beach Brewery soft opened – check Facebook for hours- 5041 Newport Ave
- Julian Brewing Company’s restaurant Bailey BBQ closed, will re-open as Julian Brewing Co. with a smaller restaurant, hopefully in September or October. Article from West Coaster.
- North Park Beer Co. open (we said already) but now Hop Fu is on tap!
- Lagunitas Buys Stake in Three Regional Companies – Southend Brewery and Smokehouse (Charleston, SC – to become Lagunitas Brewpub), Moonlight Brewing Co. (Santa Rosa), Independence Brewing (Austin). Article by The Press Democrat.
I Do Declare!
Thank you The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Tait Campbell, Ken Lierman, Amy (and Rudy) Pollorena, Chris Bush, Mitch Tantrum, Tony Bagz, Aaron Graham, and Tom Keliinoi!
Where to find our guests:
This episode was recorded at Aztec Brewing Company.
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value in ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards we have, even more value we can give our best fans!
Buy a T-shirt and put SD BeerTalk on your chest!
Go to store.sdbeertalk.com and pre-order a shirt in either white or dark grey. All shirts are $15 during the pre-order when you use coupon code SDBT5.
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show in iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.