Super crazy hot wings and giant size burgers! Those are two things you’ll see if you go to the Urge RB 6th Anniversary Party July 29th-31st. We are over at Urge Gastropub to talk about their restaurant and how they may have started the craft beer scene in Rancho Bernardo. We interview Zak Higson, the co-owner, and Pat Cusick, the General Manager of Urge RB. We also get to talk to Chef Chuy about the food being served at the anniversary party.
We jump around a little at the beginning since Beagle ate both the wings and burger we start the conversation with the hot wings. They may not look like much, but the sauce they are covered in is very hot (hotter than the ones we featured at Regents Pizzeria.) We get back to it and ask them about their tap and bottle list. That leads into some of the beers that they collaborated on for the party and their other anniversary beers. We move on from the anniversary talk and wonder how it is working with family. Brian asks the question if Urge has any dedicated taps and we were surprised and humbled by the answer. The conversation moves onto food and then if Urge is pet friendly. That leads back into their anniversary party and where the money from their raffle is going to. BTW, in that raffle you can win these prizes:
- AleSmith/Urge Velvet Speedway Bottle No. 1
- The Bruery Black Tuesday 2012 Release
- Firestone Walker Parabola 2016
- The Bruery BBA 5 Golden Rings
- Firestone Walker Bretta Rose 2016
- Cascade Blueberry Sour Ale
- Sierra Nevada BA Maillard’s Odyssey
- Fifty Fifty Eclipse Imperial Stout 2015
- Rare Barrel Map of the Sun
- Toronado Brunch with Beachwood BBQ
- Cigar City Brewing Puppy’s Breath Porter
- Two Urge Gastropub Gift Card – $100 (Pulled Separately)
To buy tickets either go to the anniversary party or buy them online!
After the break, we come back and talk about Urge Oceanside Gastropub and Whiskey Bar. If that wasn’t a mouthful, Oceanside also houses Mason Ale Works, their brewery. Being that they have a brewery, they are able to make beers they want to have on tap. Zak is cool enough to release some new information about their San Marcos restaurant, bowling alley, and all around fun place. If that is not enough, there’s a place in Carmel Valley that will have a barrel room, a second Brothers Provisions, and Mason Coffee Works.
- 6 Exclusive Anniversary Collaboration Beers:
- Alesmith – Pappy 20 yr. Barrel aged Speedway Stout
- Alesmith – Velvet Echo (Speedway stout aged in 23 yr. Evan Williams barrels w/ vanilla and Mostra Fortissimo Espresso Cold Brew)
- Mother Earth – “Very Bad Things” on Nitro BBA Strong Pale Ale
- Pure Project – “Oni” Triple IPA brewed with rice
- Rip Current – sURGEing Currents Session IPA
- St. Archer/Mason Ale Works – Your Goat Sour Ale
- Toolbox – Pinky’s Up BA Plum Sour Saison
- Live Music
- Friday 4:00-8:00 Mrs. Henry (Rock/Blues)
- Saturday 2:00-4:00 JB and the Movers (Soul/Funk/Rock)
- Glass and Schwag Giveaways
- On-Site Screen Printing with Exclusive Anniversary Designs
- Food Specials Including our Infamous Ghost Wings
- Anniversary Burger: Wasabi rubbed kobe beef with pickled veggies, hoisin duck confit, spiced wontons, and a poached duck egg
- Patio bar
- The Best Tap List of the Year Featuring Beers That Have Been Patiently Waiting in the Vault
Travis (craftbeerluv619) calls in again!
In the News!
- MillerCoors Acquires Terrapin Beer Co. (Athens, GA) Leads into…
- U.S. DOJ okays AB InBev deal for SABMiller, adds craft beer protections
- $107 billion
- Molson Coors will buy SABMiller’s 58 percent stake
- AB InBev has also agreed to curtail incentive programs that encourage beer distributors
- AB InBev will also be required to secure the DOJ’s approval before acquiring any craft beer brands.
- AB InBev’s agreement with the DOJ expire in 10 years
- Boozy broadcasts by Beth Demmon. Mentions us, Three B Zine, & Business of Beer.
- Butchers will become Finest Made Ales. Grand Opening set for August 19.
- 32 North adds Fall talent – Mike Mellow (Sales) & Nick Ceniceros (Brewer)
- Hess Fest 2016 discount! Use code SDBEERTALK for 25% off ANY ticket for Hess Fest. Thank you so much to the entire Hess Brewing family for the support of the show.
I Do Declare!
Thank you The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Tait Campbell, Ken Lierman, Amy (and Rudy) Pollorena, Chris Bush, Mitch Tantrum, Tony Bagz, Aaron Graham, and Tom Keliinoi!
Where to find our guests:
This episode was recorded at Urge Gastropub.
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value in ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards we have, even more value we can give our best fans!
Buy a T-shirt and put SD BeerTalk on your chest!
Go to store.sdbeertalk.com and pre-order a shirt in either white or dark grey. All shirts are $15 during the pre-order when you use coupon code SDBT5.
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show in iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.