We are extremely excited to be at one of the oldest breweries in San Diego, Karl Strauss. We had a fun time doing a live show at their tasting room and beer garden on Santa Fe Street, where the production facility is as well. We are joined by R&D brewer Paul Segura. While he holds that title right now, you’ll hear his history with Karl Strauss and how he got to where he is today. Enjoy the look back in San Diego beer history.
While the interview starts off talking about a mistake he made while being an R&D brewer, we quickly switch the conversation to find out what the history of Karl Strauss is. We are joined by Amy Spackman and cupcakes! Amy talks about her role with Karl Strauss. We get back to Paul and ask him the most asked podcast question ever. After a short break, we come back and keep learning more about Paul’s history and his brewing background. Afterward, we get into the statistics of the brewhouse and other brewery numbers. After another break, we come back with the hard-hitting question of whether or not they will be brewing Aurora Brutialis or not. After going over some of the new beers coming out, including their 30th Anniversary beer (a very big beer,) we talk about Arts & Amps. Finally, we try to close out the show and get to the news topics.
In the News
- California State Fair results
- Burgeon – Dutchman’s Pipe (Coffee Beer)
- Burning Beard – Klausbier (Session Beer)
- Culver – Tiger Ride (Belgian Pale Strong Ale)
- Eppig – Natural Bridge: Special Lager (International Pale Lager)
- Karl Strauss – Windansea Wheat (Hefeweizen)
- Owl Farm – Ginger Bloom (Herb & Spice Beer)
- Pizza Port Ocean Beach – Athena’s Beer (American Stout)
- Rip Current – Breakline Bock (Traditional German-Style Bock)
- Rip Current – Delaminator Doppelbock (Doppelbock)
- Arcana – Dark Voyage English Ale (Extra Special Bitter)
- Burning Beard – D’Brücke (Berliner-Style Weisse)
- Burning Beard – Roggen the Lightning (German-Style Rye Ale)
- Eppig – Natural Bridge: Baltic Porter (Baltic-Style Porter)
- Eppig – Kottbusser (American-Style Wheat Beer)
- Rip Current – Black Lagoon (Wee Heavy/Scotch Ale)
- Belching Beaver – Beavers Milk Stout (Milk Stout/Cream Stout)
- Booze Brothers – Snow Blind (American-Style Wheat Beer)
- Karl Strauss – Red Trolley Ale (Irish Red Ale)
- Owl Farm – Gin Gose (Experimental Beer)
- Pizza Port Bressi Ranch – Fanny Pack (Belgian-Style Witbier)
- SouthNorte – Agavemente (Alternative Sugar Beer)
- South Park – Baja 500 (Chili Beer)
- South Park – Totally Bollocks (English-Style Brown Ale)
- New Breweries getting closer!
- SouthNorte teamed up with Telefonica Gastro Park to brew beers in Tijuana. Ryan Brooks and Antonio Gamboa will be teaming up to brew “North of” and “South of” the Border.
I Do Declare!
Thank you, The Perfect Pour, Colin Salmon, Ken Lierman, Chris Bush, Tony Bagz, Tom Keliinoi, West Coaster, Dave V, Roger Smith, Captain Eli, Craftbeeray, Vance Arthurs, Bill Benzel, Patrick Zacharias, Greg Nagel, Neil Halpin, John Allegretti, Scott Schmalbach, Brian Goold, Matt Landes, Cyrus B, Ben, Hoppy Craftsmen Podcast, Rock Out Scholarship Fund (Shawn Coady), Gwynntelligence (Padres Jagoff), Carlos Lee, Liz Bauer, James Ramsay, Christa Mitchell, Johnny Rivera, Tyler Ferguson, Queso, Oscar Barron, Amy Spackman, Three Frogs Beer Company, and NEW! The Kayne Padre!
Where to find our guests:
This episode was recorded live at Karl Strauss!
We are sponsored by!
TapCraft is an original San Diego draught systems company, with over 60 years of experience designing, installing and maintaining systems locally and beyond. Setting the industry standard for all beverage draught systems, TapCraft is Draughting Quality Beverages.
Check out our new Support Us! Page!
We have a Patreon Page!
Pledge $1 or give more, either way, we love our listeners. We hope we provide some value in your life so you can provide some value to ours. Value for Value model. Look at the various rewards for even more value we can give our best fans!
Rate us on iTunes!
We understand not everyone can give back via Patreon. Another way you can help us reach a bigger audience is rating the show on iTunes. Please give us some feedback and rate us!
All music is from The Routine. Check them out and go to a show!
Our logo was created by Craft Beerd artist Rudy Pollorena Jr. If you like craft beer and want to show your passion, check out his art and buy some merch.